About the Integrating Content and Language Initiative
ICLHE is an initiative with origins back in the margins of conferences in the 1990s. Discussions at these conferences led to a series of symposia culminating in a major ICLHE conference at Maastricht, Netherlands, in 2003. This conference was followed by a second one in 2006 which led to a general feeling to establish some kind of organization for people with an interest in content and language in higher education. The ICLHE Association is the outcome.
The ICLHE Assocation is an independent, self-financing assocation, funded by its members. It is not dependent on subsidies for its existence or on the goodwill of a host university to proivde services. This does not preclude the Assocation from seeking subsidies or grants to initiate and pursue projects in line with the aims of the Assocation, nor from collaborating with other parties whether subsidized or not. The self-financing nature of the Assocation means that ICLHE is owned by its members.
- ICLHE aims to provide a platform for the exchange of opinions, experiences, initiatives and research concerning the interface between content and language in higher education.
- ICLHE aims to take initiatives in order to stimulate the synergy from cooperation among members from different backgrounds and contexts.
- ICLHE will provide a site for information about publications, books, conferences and events, initiatives, and governmental measures.
- ICLHE will provide an online forum for members to post information, calls, news, results of research, and other data of relevance and interest.
- ICLHE may organize events and activities in its own right.
Robert Wilkinson, Maastricht University, chair.
Kevin Haines, University of Groningen, secretary.
Ute Smit, University of Vienna, treasurer.
Joyce Kling, University of Copenhagen, board member.
Patrick Studer, ZHAW, board member.
Inmaculada Fortanet-Gomez, University Jaume I, board member.
Jenny Valcke, Karolinska Institutet, board member.
Mary Louise Walsh, Universitat Pompeu Fabra, board member.
The ICLHE Association was formally established by notarial act on 6 December 2016 at Maastricht, Netherlands. The Association is registered at the Chamber of Commerce (Kamer van Koophandel) under number 67437540. The members of the Association approved the regulations at the Board Meeting and Association General Meeting on 4 September 2015 at Brussels. The rules of procedure will be put to the General Meeting of the Association in Copenhagen in October 2017.